Thursday, July 19, 2012

Back in the saddle...

     Well now, it's been a while since I've actually had anything to post up here that involved myself assembling or hobbying anything. I've really wanted to put my Celestial Fulcrum together and start the painting process but the weather and a full schedule have kept me from doing so. I wanted to prime the pieces and paint them before assembling and every time I thought about pulling the parts out to spray them it was raining or the humidity was off the scale. I tried one last time to prime them last night before I eventually broke down and glued everything together and my wife opened the back door to display a clear blue sky and rain pouring down. With the sun out no less. Gotta love Texas weather.
     Rather than play a never-ending game of peek-a-boo with the weather, I decided to get the monster all de-flashed and put together. Yes, I cheated. Yes, that's the assembly guide from the website on the tablet in the background. To be honest, I didn't need it to figure out where all the pieces went as I'd already dry-fitted most of it and they're all laid out in a fairly logical way. What I did need it for was figuring out what was flash and what wasn't. There were some conspicuously non-flash like pieces that actually turned out to be excess resin that wasn't needed and having pictures of all the pieces handy helped. Even without the druids standing around it I love how this thing looks.
     Now that it's assembled, I'll just have to return to my s.o.p. of priming and painting while fully assembled. No worries. I think, if I were more of a hobbyist and less a gamer that would bother me more, but I'm only really getting the paint up to a tabletop level quality, so no worries there. I must admit to a certain haste with which I've decided to finish this piece, even though I've had it for several months now. You see, I promised myself (and the wife) that I wouldn't get a WoldWrath at Gen-Con unless I finished the (as she calls it) Planetarium before then. With luck, the skies will stay clear this evening and I'll be able to start on the painting this weekend. Here's hoping I have post next week showing, if not a completed paint job, then at least some work in progress on the Fulcrum gun platform here. Until next time...

No comments: