Friday, June 29, 2012

Then and now

     Then was last year. August actually. The tournaments we attend normally were concluded and I was looking ahead to the projects I wanted to accomplish. One of them was my Orks. Another was my Purge warband. Now is almost a year later and not only is a new edition on the horizon (I should have my copy this afternoon) but there is also a new codex for Chaos looming large. Even without codex revamp, just having the options available from taking Daemons as allies in 6th gives me a new lease on the army I want to play. Speaking of allies, the image to the left over there is the new chart and while some of the options on it are downright confusing, it all adds up to what could be some great visuals at tournaments this year. I can't wait to see what folks are going to do with all of the converting and paint options available from that list.


     Shortly after WARGamesCon last year, the wife and I stopped playing 40k and I haven't played a game since. Consequently, it's been almost an entire year of no 40k for me. That makes me a sad space panda. I thought I was acclimated to the idea of setting aside 40k and getting rid of my GW stuff. However, following the rumors and leaks on the new edition has sparked a good bit of excitement in the household and both the wife and I are looking forward to getting back into it.
     So, what am I going to do?
     What plans am I making to keep my interest in 40k and not retreat back to Warmachine and Hordes again, never to return?
     Well, I think the first thing is, I'm not going to plan to far ahead on the specifics. I've got some general ideas and I'm going to try those out and see how they pan out before trying to lock myself into anything solid and rigidly plan out my hobby time. Once you start doing that, it becomes a job and it's not fun anymore. Without further ado, here are the broadstrokes:
     1. Shelve the Imperials. I love my black Templars and my Thunderwolves, but I don't think I've played the templars once with their current codex and there are sooo many flavors of Imperial marines out there I just feel like another brick in the wall if you'll excuse the allusion.
      2. Build some Orks. Orks players have so much fun with their armies and that's something I can really get behind. At WHFB tournaments I was one of the idiots yelling "Set the Stone!" when my heroes set their oath stones. It's a short distance from that to yelling WAAAGH at the top of my lungs. It's probably also a short step to crazy from there, but what else is new. Besides, lookit Da Planes! Also, I must acquire some Deathskulls dice. Looted all the way, baby!
     3. Chaos! Gotta add some daemons to the Purge. Must get back to rolling these dice! Cannot wait to get a new codex and plumb the depths of insanity converting stuff up for my army. I've got a bunch of Arachnarok spider legs and a defiler body waiting to be assembled together. Should they become a soul grinder? A greater daemon? Some new form of infernal machine powered by the unholy warp energy of chaos? Yes, yes, a million times yes! Or seven, whatever works.
     And that's it. I'm not giving myself any deadlines. I'm not planning on attending any events, although I may as the community is one of my favorite parts of the hobby. We'll see how things go...



No comments: