Monday, February 6, 2012

Grape Ape grab bag...

     First up, Colossals. I'm excited. The scuttlebutt and speculation around the interwebs and the circle forums seem to point towards the druids fielding a massive wold named the woldwrath. As a pBaldur player and fan of the constructs in general, I've gotta say I'm eagerly awaiting any and all forthcoming info from Privateer regarding these new models. The pic I've seen circulating about the woldwrath shows basically a massive stone construct in a gorilla stance. If this is the case, my army of awesome beasts will be nearing completion. Brun and Lug provide the bear. Blindwater has the gators and octopus/squid thing covered. Circle will have the concrete gorilla and all I'll be missing is the shark. Gotta find a way to get a skorne basilisk to work for my army...

    On the model front, I've primed everything and I've applied dark green to all the models that require it. I'm working on an assembly line basis with these so far, just adding a color at a time, but adding it to everything. I'm going for a table-top quality paint job. I won't win any awards, but they'll have unifying visual elements and I'll shock everyone I know by having a fully painted force for the first time in 16ish years of miniature wargaming. That's a ton of friggin models to paint. Oh well, slow and steady wins the race, right?
     One of the reasons I wanted to get fully painted was because of WARGamesCon later this year. My wife and I have participated in the 40k doubles tournament the last 2 years, and had plans to do so in the Warmachine/Hordes doubles this year, but after checking their site today, it looks like they took down the listing for the Warmachine doubles and have decided to run two 50 point events over the weekend. Well damn. Color me disappointed. We even went so far as to get some special dice made up from the fine folks at Chessex to display with our armies at the event like we did for our Chaos marine force last year. The dice are in and look great by the way.
     I went with Copper/Green and Copper/Black with the Circle symbol for the 6 while she snagged some in Copper/Black and some in a Lustrous Shale, also with the Trollblood symbol on the 6. I tried mine out in a couple of 35 point games this weekend and must say, they work very well.
     So, will we partake in the two 50 point events, well, we'll see what happens between now and then, but I don't have very high hopes for it as we both prefer to play in smaller games such as 15 or 25 points while our interest tops out around 35. And now, if we want to play in the 40k Doubles tournament we'll have to skip the 15 point Warmachine/Hordes event on Friday. It's starting to look like instead of a fun filled gaming weekend, we'll have a good time on Friday and can spend the rest of the weekend at our local game store getting some 25 and 35 point games in. Ah well, we'll find a doubles event for WM/H somewhere...


No comments: