Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Generally Awesome...

     Privateer, by way of BoLS, has released the theme list for the new Rhulic warcaster, General Ossrum and as the Pointer Sisters put it, "I'm so excited." As dwarves are my favorite fantasy race in just about any game system, and as I have a good number of mercenary dwarves for warmachine already, I'll most likely be picking up a copy of this model as soon as he's available. He may even be one of my first GenCon purchases if he's out by then (after I secure a copy of the IKRPG of course). The closer we get to GenCon, the more I feel I cannot wait.

     Looking at the theme force, I like how simple his allowed list options are: Rhulic jacks/units/solos. Sounds great. I can field the gun bunnies; the driller, basher and rockram I own. I can bring along Brun and the grumpy old bear, and most importantly I can bring the dwarves with the hammers and guns. And for doing so, I am allowed to AD one of my units. Ok, so that isn't as great as the whole force gaining another 4 inches on our deployment zone, but let's see what else we get...
     Two or more units with ranged weapons (yayy highshields, or assuming I eventually pick up some Ogrun assault corps, yayy Ogrun) nets me a trench template for every 2 units in the army. Well, as long as I fulfill the tier requirement, I've got at least one trench to place. I dig trenches. Heh. What's not to like about cover for my High Shields. Defense 10 is fairly easy to hit, but 14 on the other hand gives them much better odds of surviving and maybe even dodging a bullet or two.
     Tier three. Two or more solos. That's easy to fill. Two of my favorite dwarven models, Brun Cragback and Thor Steinhammer. The man with the bear and the best mechanic out there. I also have a number of Ogrun Bokur held over from their amazing-ness in mkI that can stand in for Brun in a character restriced or smaller game format, but i digress. What does this allow me? What benefit could I receive for bringing these two along? Why my favorite tier bonus from just about any tier (notice I don't place a lot of Menoth and upkeep removal). Friendly models and units may begin the game affected by Ossrum's upkeeps. That's why I'm so excited about this new warcaster. It could be that I'm reading too much into it, but that bonus says to me that Ossrum is going to be all about the troops. He's going to provide a beneficial environment for the hammer-slammin Forge Guard and that's just music to my ears.
     Oh yeah, that's not all. Bring along 3 or more jacks and they all receive +2 speed in the first round. With the gun bunnies at 3 points each, that's not difficult at all. Bumping them to 7, providing a 14" run on the first turn and having the focus to do it without having to throw it on upkeeps, well now that might mean our stumpy-legged buddies can control a bit more of the field. Hooray for new mobility.
     All-in-all, even without knowing what this guy brings as spells/feat/abilities, I'm still fairly excited about the prospect of a new Rhulic model. I wonder how much of that excitement stems from the Rhulic mercs feeling like the proverbial red-headed step child when it comes to faction love and how much is just plain old excitement at a shiny new toy. Oh well, only time will tell...

No comments: