Wednesday, August 4, 2010

I am a tabletop wargamer

Notice the title is wargamer, not painter or hobbyist. That's honestly how I see myself. I'm a gamer. I love to learn new systems and I'm a big fan of plunking some minis down on a table and rolling some dice. The odd caveat to that is, I don't consider it a miniature wargame unless you have to assemble/paint the minis. Strange I know, but who said I had to make any sense? Especially on my own blog. =P


Yes, that's right, I'm a wargamer elitist.
HeroClix, Arcane Legions, Star Wars the miniature combat game, none of these fit my personal definition of wargame as they come with pre-assembled and pre-painted miniatures. Notice i didn't say poorly painted minis as my painting skills, when I employ them, are anything but top-notch.
So what is it about breaking out the clippers, x-acto knife, super glue and files that makes me feel a game is more worth my time?
Is it the urge to create something and the freedom allowed to make the models look how I want through use of saw/blade/clippers? Or is it more the personal investment of time and work placed in the models and a subsequent feeling of 'Mine-ness' I can then associate with the models?
More likely its a combination of both.

So now, with my definition of wargame out of the way I can get down to the business at hand.
Much like how you can appreciate the music an artist creates and not like the artist, I really enjoy the GW games, but am not the biggest fan of the company that produces them. Their release schedules, lack of model support for the ranges, lack of support for their own products (Mordheim, epic, etc...) So while I continue to play their games, I'm still on the lookout for "The Game", some mythical system that will be the one I want to spend my time and effort on. There are a wealth of systems available and I want to try them all.

Games I currently play:
Warhammer Fantasy
Warhammer 40,000

Games I've played:
WarMachine
Hordes
Necromunda
Mordheim
Battlefleet Gothic
Blood Bowl

Games I want to check out:
Malifaux
Inquisitor
Warhammer 40,000 Apocalypse
Epic Armageddon
Warhammer Ancients
Flames of War
Firestorm Armada
Firestorm Invasion
Uncharted Seas

Those are all I can think of at the moment.

No comments: